Analysis: Legal Cannabis Sales Projected to Reach $43 Billion By 2025

Washington, DC: Retail marijuana sales in the United States are projected to reach $43 billion per year by 2025, according to an economic analysis by New Frontier Data. 

Legal marijuana sales have increased to historic levels in recent months, with sales totaling nearly $6 billion in the first quarter of this year. Retail sales are projected to increase in the coming months as additional states – such as New Jersey and New York – begin licensing cannabis retailers. 

The New Frontier Data analysis estimates that by 2025, “42 percent of total annual US cannabis demand will be met by legal purchases in regulated marketplaces.”

Of the $43 billion in projected annual sales in 2025, analysts estimate that roughly 62 percent of transactions will involve adult-use purchases while the remaining 38 percent will be medical cannabis sales. 

For more information, see the NORML fact sheet ’Marijuana Regulation: Impact on Health, Safety, Economy.